Monday, September 19, 2011

Edgework Model

Every summer growing up, my family would take trips to Lake Powell. While we were there, all of the cousins would go out cliff jumping. However, I had always had a crippling fear of heights.

Old Edge Patterns
Feelings:Scared, anxious, abandoned
Physiology:Rapid heart rate, shallow breathing, shaking uncontrollably
Pattern/Defense: Make excuses, lash out
Belief: "Everyone is braver than me." "I'm such a loser."
Conversation: "If I jump I will die." "There's no way this is only 15 feet."
Support: Cousins
Metaphor: I pictured myself alone on the cliff or dead in the water

Edge Resources
Feelings: Inclusion, Excitement
Physiology: Racing heart rate but with mental calm
Pattern/Defense: Think less
Belief: "This is awesome." "I am awesome."
Conversation: "Don't think about it." "If you do a trick, everyone will cheer."
Support: Cousins, self
Metaphor: Fearless, like a bird taking off in flight

No comments:

Post a Comment