Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Experience and Education Chapters 1-3

While reading through the first half of John Dewey's book, I found myself agreeing with most of what I read, with these two points sticking out to me first off in chapter one; How schools are an institution different from anything in society, how we cannot teach children using adult techniques.

I like the idea of teaching things simply and having quality experiences rather than pushing as many experiences into a child as humanly possibly every year, and expecting every kid in a school district will walk away with the same understandings after finishing a certain grade.

There's always the chance though, that I agree with everything I read about education reform because I look back at my early education and how unsatisfying it was to me at the time. We did too much work and didn't take enough time to play. And if we decided we wanted to play when it wasn't recess, we got in trouble. Of course when I say "we" I mean "I". I feel traditional school tried to stomp my spirit out and I guess I'm still a little bitter.

I like how in chapter three, Dewey takes on the system, saying just because things are a certain way, doesn't necessarily mean they should be that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment